June 28, 2019
Dinner parties have never been more fun in a setting that is reminiscent of an era of long-ago combined with modern pieces of today. Add in velvet drapes, sofas with fringe, and tufting – lots of tufting, and guests will never want to leave your Modern Victorian home.
But how do you achieve the look?
With modern touches and neutral colors weaved into this updated style, creating the Modern Victorian look in your home is easy with a bit of planning. In fact, you might already have some pieces to add. Do you have any Victorian heirlooms from family members? Or is your style currently more Modern and maybe you just need to add a few Victorian touches.
Whether you have a foundation to start with or are starting from scratch, you can achieve the Modern Victorian look by incorporating these key characteristics:
- Modern lighting with Victorian ornamental details like a ceiling medallion
- Deep, saturated colors like navy, deep jade and charcoal gray
- Patterned wallpaper and touches of gold, soft metallics, and gently aged finishes
- Furniture pieces with velvet, fringe, and tufting
- A simple and modern furniture piece such as a dining room table
- Rugs with neutral colors like beige or gray
Complete the Look
Because Modern Victorian is a mix of ornate and simple pieces, the lighting you select will play a significant role in tying everything together. What type of lighting fits the Modern Victorian style?
Look for a chandelier or pendant with unique features like Thisbe™ collection. Thisbe™ offers elegant curves, fabric covered detail, and white linen shades – a twist on the traditional chandelier or pendant that you might find in a classic Victorian home.
Inspired to get started? Share how you've brought the Modern Victorian look into your home using the #MyKichlerStyle and we may feature your home on one of our social channels.
Modern Victorian is just one of many style options for your home
Check out other styles inspiration from Kichler®
- All Blog Posts
- Ashley Wilson's Favorite Fixtures
- Sleep Retreats for Holiday Guests
- Holiday Lighting Effects
- Dual Finishes
- Small Changes that Make a Big Difference
- Master your Mudroom
- 4 Outdoor Lighting Tasks To Tackle This Fall
- Before and After: A Drab Kitchen Brought to Light
- Chic Retreats for Kids
- Getting your Outdoor Space Party Ready
- Summer Makeovers by Kichler®
- Keep Your Cool All Summer Long
- The Modern Victorian Style
- The Layered Look
- More Ways to Farmhouse