March 14, 2019
The Bohemian aesthetic has influenced home décor and design over the last few years—and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Inspired by the edgy décor of the 1970s, this style features bold or colorful patterns, woven material and kilim rugs and pillows. Also, plants. Lots of plants.
This carefree Cali look is perfect if you want to showcase your creative personality, and create a cozy and casual space through warm colors. Travel often? Collect your treasures from those trips abroad and showcase them to add your personal touch to this trend.
Not ready to go full-on boho? Lately, we’ve noticed a mash-up of two styles that we absolutely love—think Bohemian meets Scandinavian. A modernized version of the classic Boho trend, Modern Bohemian combines the neutral, minimal qualities of Scandinavian décor with Bohemian vibrant colors. It’s a beautiful balancing act.
Are you already working with a neutral palette? You’re halfway to Modern Bohemian. Simply add some bright, tasseled pillows or incorporate textured elements, such as a macramé wall hanging or fluffy Moroccan rug.
One defining characteristic of Bohemian interiors is a maximalist approach. You can achieve a Modern Bohemian style by simply being strategic with your décor. By keeping wall art to a minimum and spacing the furniture out, the room is maximalist AND minimalist in style. (Yes, that IS possible.)
If you’re looking to turn your backyard into an artful island getaway (which we highly recommend), our Palisades collection features natural wicker shades for a laid-back Cali look. Want to incorporate this trend into your indoor space? Our Brisbane collection features a natural look, with white beads that will infuse artful style into any room.
Whether you prefer traditional Bohemian or this new hybrid of Modern Bohemian, the right lighting is the key to pulling off the look.
- Ask A Pro Series
- All Blog Posts
- Lighting Dilemma Help from HGTV Star, Tamara Day
- Emerging Style Trends
- Bedroom Ideas for Kids
- Luxe Kitchens to Love
- A Luxe Look in the Bathroom
- Spruce Up for the Holidays
- Gold Finishes
- Retro Living
- Maximizing your Minimalist Design
- Black Finishes
- The Importance of Lighting in a Home
- Mother's Day Home Spa
- The Layered Look
- Crafting the Perfect Craft Room
- Design Report: IBS 2020, The Handmade Home
- Soft Contemporary
- 70's Glam
- Behr Color of the Year 2020
- Ashley Wilson's Favorite Fixtures
- Sleep Retreats for Holiday Guests
- Holiday Lighting Effects
- Dual Finishes
- Small Changes that Make a Big Difference
- Master your Mudroom
- 4 Outdoor Lighting Tasks To Tackle This Fall
- Before and After: A Drab Kitchen Brought to Light
- Getting your Outdoor Space Party Ready
- Summer Makeovers by Kichler®
- Keep Your Cool All Summer Long
- The Modern Victorian Style
- More Ways to Farmhouse
- Kichler Employee Profiles: Jennifer Burke